Become a Member of The Allergy Mom Website
It's easy! Register for Free and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for important updates, advice, recipes and more.
Membership of The Allergy Mom website includes:
- Dissemination of Knowledge -articles, newsletters, resources, workshops and training to increase the knowledge and awareness regarding Food Allergy safety for children.
- Professional Development -activities, resources, workshops and training are offered online or at your physical location to educate and instruct professionals in various industries working with children on topics related to Food Allergy Safety and Anaphylaxis
- Advocacy -pursuits of influencing outcomes or decisions within political, economic, and social systems as they relate to Food Allergy Safety and Anaphylaxis (for example our current involvement with Motion 546 in Canada).
- Recognition -recognition of individuals or associations that are making a difference in the areas of Food Allergy research, advocacy, support/guidance, awareness, and education.
- Networking/Mentoring -opportunities for parents, caregivers and other interested parties to participate in online forum discussions to encourage discussion, support, safety policies and procedures, and other issues pertaining to Food Allergy Safety and Anaphylaxis
Professional Development & Training
The Allergy Mom provides training, workshops and is an educational resource for parents, family members, child-care facilities, schools, recreation facilities, camps, hospitals, restaurants, food service personnel and your organization. If you are working with children in any capacity, you should have this essential food allergy safety training. The Protect Allergic Children (PAC) Food Allergy Safety Training Program is being recognized as an important educational experience by professional organizations. The Missouri state child care licensing agency now recognizes this training as fulfilling continued education units for child care professionals employed throughout the state of Missouri. In Canada, teachers at FUN School in Mississauga, Ontario are registering as members of the site and have received training workshops as part of the Raising the Bar in Peel, a voluntary program for licensed child care programs that are committed to improving the quality of child care facilities in Peel Region.
Are you an Allergy Aware Business?
The Allergy Mom is looking for businesses that are aware of the challenges faced by Allergy Moms (and Dads). If your company has taken action to ensure that your products are safe for children with allergies we would love to share the details of your business on theallergymom.com!
Contact us today or submit your product, service or website to our directory.
When our first child was diagnosed with environmental allergies in 2004 we were forced to learn a whole new way of living. We became experts on indoor air quality, avoiding allergens and how to best manage the environment to keep our son safe and comfortable. In 2006, our infant daughter was born and immediately had difficulty with eczema and allergies. Before the age of 2 she had experienced multiple severe, life-threatening allergic reactions and was diagnosed with anaphylaxis to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree-nuts. I was nursing at the time and was reeling from this diagnosis. I did not know what was safe and had to learn how to feed my family in a whole new way. I can remember vividly how upset, stressed, frustrated, hungry! and overwhelmed I was by this life-changing diagnosis. We had successfully managed environmental allergies but now we had to make changes to our internal environment. As an avid life-long learner and educator I began to research and find resources to help me feed my child and keep her safe. Here are some of the things that I have learned and can help you with as well as my qualifications to counsel you on Food Allergies and Anaphylaxis.
- Highly knowledgeable professional with a Master's Degree in Education and currently studying Psychotherapy. Extensive experience working with allergy sufferers and a certified food allergy safety consultant. Currently offering training workshops through the Region of Peel's Child Development Resource Connection to train preschool and daycare staff and cooks to accommodate allergic children safely in their facilities.
- Supported by Holistic Nutritionists and other Health & Wellness professionals.
- Available for consultations in person, by phone, or skype. I have fielded questions and consulted with allergy sufferers all across North America.
- Support for newly diagnosed to make the home environment safe and to be aware of hidden sources of allergens
- Support for mediating between home and school (or camp, recreation programs, etc.), how to travel safely with allergens (airlines, road trips, camping, etc.)
- Menu Planning with information on deciphering ingredient labels, adapting recipes with substitutions and eating out
- Support for explaining allergies to extended family members who just don't "get it"
- Counseling for emotional issues, anxiety, depression and stress. Dealing with the threat of a reaction or the trauma of having experienced one. Strategies and resources to keep yourself healthy, and your relationships with others (this can put a lot of strain on marriages and extended family relationships). Talking about the isolation and worry that accompanies the role of caring for someone with a life-threatening food allergy.
- Support for taking on the role of an allergy/anaphylaxis advocate in your community. Whether we want to or not, this becomes a role we have to take on to keep safe.
- Information about the reality of allergy bullying and how to support the mental health of a family member or yourself (balancing fear and normalcy for a child, encouraging "safe" playdates and "normal" opportunities for social engagement.
- Mind-body connection: The power of meditation, breathing and simple yoga postures to calm the body and mind. "Our issues are in our tissues" and the stress of living with a life-threatening condition can manifest itself as chronic pain and tension in the body. Simple exercises that can be done to restore calm and well-being.
- Recommendations of resources for parents and children (books, websites, form letters to be used for communicating with others about allergies, recipes, etc.)
Fees for Services:
- 15 minute Phone Consultation: Free! (905) 467-2626
- 60 min Phone, Skype or Office Session $90.00
- 30 min Phone, Skype of Office Session $55.00
- 3 session package $250
- 6 session package $500
- People coping with food allergies/intolerance/sensitivities
- Parents and children with food allergies
Now Available! Allergy & Anaphylaxis Safety Training
I have completed my certification as a "Protect Allergic Children" Consultant. This qualifies me to educate parents of food-allergic children, teachers, caregivers, business owners, nurses, chefs and anyone who wants to ensure a safe environment for a food allergic child.
The Food Allergy Safety Training modules have been designed for:
- child care centres
- food allergic families
- restaurants and culinary schools
to provide education and training services to better protect food allergic children.
The Protect Allergic Children (PAC) Program contains the following offerings:
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at School
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at a Child Care Facility
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at Camp
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at a Hospital
- Protect Allergic Children: Creating a Safe Home Environment for Food Allergic Family Members & Preparing for School
- Protect Allergic Children: Nutritional Assessment & Dietary Planning
The development of the above modules have been supported by an impressive Board of Directors and Advisory Board team including:
*Paediatric Allergics and Immunology Specialists
*Food Allergy Support Group Leaders
- Egg Allergy Document
- Milk Allergy Document
- Peanut Allergy Doc
- Sesame Seed Allergy
- Seafood & Fish Allergy
- Soy Allergy
- Sulphite Allergy
- Tree Nut Allergies
- Wheat Allergy
- Anaphylaxis in Schools & Child Care Settings
- Anaphylaxis Guide from Allergy & Asthma Network: Mothers of Asthmatics
- Action Steps for Anaphylaxis Management
- Sample Letter from Principal (Elementary)
- Sample Letter from Teacher (Elementary)
- How to use EpiPen & EpiPen Jr Auto-injectors
- Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan (Form for Child's Photo & Action Plan)
- U.S. Guidelines Food Allergy Diagnosis
- Food Allergy Guidelines U.S.
You can order custom labels for your allergic child's backpack, lunch bag, forehead (just kidding) to let everyone know of your child's allergies. Check out the wide variety of options through Mabels Labels by clicking below. Search on the Mabels site for "Allergy Alerts" and find ready-designed allergy warning labels.